The last building on the north side of the 500-block of Yates Street sits at 510-512 Yates. Built in 1891 by Alex Phillips on the site of his early soda water factory, it was for years the home of Henderson Bros. wholesale druggists. This firm had been established in 1858 as Charles and Alfred John Langley (Victoria and San Francisco) and, as noted in the Victoria Daily Colonist of June 2, 1896, business would be carried on under the firm name of Langley & Henderson Bros. following the death of Alfred Langley in April. Joseph Newlands Henderson moved to Vancouver to take charge of the firm's business there while Thomas Morrison Henderson and his brother William remained in Victoria. Shortly thereafter, on June 13, 1896, the firm decided to "withdraw from the retail business" and directed their former customers to Charles E. Jones for their future prescription needs. They continued the wholesale business in the two cities for many years. Around the turn of the twentieth century, the firm became known as only Henderson Bros. When the streetcar turned onto Government Street, Henderson Bros. was still in the Yates Street location. It would last there until around the move to Fort Street in 1910. The building was for many years the home of Chez Pierre restaurant.
This Hallmark Heritage Society project was funded by the HBC Foundation and the BC150-Heritage Legacy Fund.
Project manager and researcher: Helen Edwards.
Principal Photography & Consultant:
Ron Bukta, West Ventures Photography.